My FMP Introduction
Gigs4Generations
What is 'Gigs4Generations'?
Gigs4Generations is my Final Major Project. It will be a tour following my band: Slate and will also be following the release of their EP: Crashing Moon. The intention of this tour is to play in front of an average crowd of 3 different generations: teenagers, adults and the elderly. It is expected to find an average teenage crowd playing at a college or a college-run gig, an average of an adult crowd would be found in a pub and an elderly crowd would be found in a retirement home. My goal from this project is to learn how to properly play in a band, learn how to organize a gig and learn how to create a set appropriate for the average crowd or venue I am playing in (like how a metal set would not work well in a retirement home.).
How will I go about this project?
I will create 3 different set lists and play a minimum of 3 different venues, then I will perform them with Slate. The EP slate are writing will have a song for us to play at each venue as well: we will have an acoustic song to play for the elderly, a 'dad rock' song for the adults in a pub and potentially a more rough, thrashy song for the teenage generation. I will write and document this tour through rehearsal logs, weekly progress logs and reviews of the gigs that were played with video evidence. There will be a final conclusional write-up summing up and evaluating the full project and how each generation as a whole reacted to the music they heard.
This is the planned gig schedule. The Alexandra Hotel is the Pub Gig aimed for an average middle-aged audience, The Steven Lawrence Theatre and Polar Bear are aimed for a younger teenage audience and the Tamarix Lodge is the acoustic gig in the retirement home that I'll be playing and planning with another friend. I'll be documenting each gig in individual posts. Some of these are unconfirmed such as the theatre gig and may not happen for a later day.
Context of the FMP: Why is this my choice of FMP?
In the future, I would like to be a session musician, and take my studies of music performance and production further in university. I believe playing 3 different gigs in front of 3 different types of crowds gives me a lot more diversity in terms of genre; what type of music I enjoy and don't enjoy performing, a rough idea of how to play several different genres which will help me adapt to the crowd I am looking to play my music to. I would like to write-up about each gig and focus specifically on the audience aspect as it would help me know how each crowd will react to the music played and performed in front of them, giving me an understanding for future gigs when constructing setlists and overall how I present myself and my band if I find myself permanently in a band. Finally, this FMP will help me build up a solid portfolio to present to other musicians, venues and bands who would be looking for a drummer to cover a set, or as a permanent fixture; I would like to use this FMP to build up my own experience and upskill myself as a drummer.
.png)
Comments
Post a Comment